Scientific name: Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertn
English name: Blessed milk thistle, St. Mary thistle, Holy thistle, Ladie’s thistle
Farsi name: Khar Maryam, Maritighal
Arabic name: Akoob, Shook al-damn, Harshafe bari, Selebin, Kharfash al-jamal
This plant is belonged to Asteraceae family and its organs used is Seeds.
The active constituent in this herb is a flavonoid complex called silymarin. This substance is actually a combination of flavonoids known as silibinin, silidianin and silicristin.
The most important health benefit of this plant:
• Reducing and fighting the cancer cells
• Treating the diabetes
• Prevent the heart attack by lower the high cholesterol
• Detox the body and cleanser the blood
• Protect the liver from the toxins and other pollutants
• Boosting immune system
• Neutralize the toxic inside the cells
• Prevent the hepatitis C
• Stimulate the cells growth and even fix the damaged cells
Milk thistle grows in several regions, including Asia, the Mediterranean regions and Europe. Various types of this plant are also found in Iran.